top of page
Writer's pictureJoanne Hsieh (MissyChiao)

藝術家專訪|蘇菲.拉莫斯 Sofie Ramos 的當代集景

Updated: May 27, 2022

Sofie Ramo's Large-Scale Installation and Contemporary "Combines"


採訪編輯 Editor|Joanne Hsieh

翻譯 Translation|Joanne Hsieh

圖 Image Courtesy|Sofie Ramos 提供


Q:嗨,蘇菲,可以和我們自我介紹嗎?你來自哪裡,有什麼有趣的事物可以介紹給我們?

Hi Sofie, can you tell us a bit about yourself?


A:我在俄亥俄州的辛辛那提長大,我的父母是木匠。2015年我搬到加州的灣區,在加州大學柏克萊分校攻讀藝術碩士;目前我在舊金山和洛杉磯兩地來回創作。我將所有時間花在創作,目前我的工作和生活分配極度不平衡。

I grew up in Cincinnati, Ohio. My parents are woodworkers. I moved to CA (Bay Area) for grad school at UC Berkeley (MFA 2015) and am currently based in LA & SF. I spend all my time in the studio and have a very poor work/life balance.

Studio View (Sofie Ramos 提供)

Q:你會如何向從未看過你創作的陌生人形容自己的創作?

How would you describe your work to someone who’s never seen it before?

A:我通常和人們介紹我在每日日常用品上,塗上高彩度的顏色或花樣,再將之堆砌成大型的雕塑裝置藝術。

I usually tell people I make sculptural installations and paintings from everyday found objects painted with bright colors and bold patterns and piled on top of each other.


「藝術」的底線在哪裡?
BUST OUT (cake case) Painting/digital collage for Guerrero Gallery Online Show

Q:你從事創作多久了?

How long have you been making art professionally?


A:專職創作有七年了。

professionally, 7 years.

Q:你希望觀者在不瞭解你創作理念的前提下,從中得到什麼?

What do you want the viewer to take away from your work without any prior understanding to your practice?


A:我喜歡看到人們開始動手創作,並且在自己的舊物中尋寶拿來創作。我也不反對觀者開始質疑“藝術”的底線在哪裡,以及什麼東西是夠格稱得上所謂的藝術。

I love when people are inspired to both make things themselves and salvage their own old objects. I also don’t mind when viewers come away questioning where the art ends and what qualifies as art.

我的創作美感來源包含廢棄物
Painted Into A Corner (installation at Guerrero Gallery, SF) 2016. Acrylic paint, fabric, wood, bean bags, table, balloon, ribbon, microfiber towel. 124 x 180 x 150 in.

Q:你的創作美感來源為何?

What inspires your aesthetic choices?


A:廢棄物(二手衣物、傢俱、玩具,等等)。室內設計、居家設計;蛋糕、各類甜點;派對、遊行、慶祝會,卡通。

Piles of trash (or laundry, furniture, toys, etc.) Interior design / domestic interiors.

Cakes & other desserts. Parties, parades, celebrations and cartoons.

我的創作主題環繞著私人與心理空間
Studio View (2020)

Q:是什麼機緣開始使用現在創作的媒材?

How have you arrived at the materials you choose to work with?


A:我的創作主題環繞著私人與心理空間,所以我使用很多家用品當作媒材 -- 個人用品連結、歷史與回憶;居家生活、界線、安慰(舒適)、懷舊,等等。 I use household objects and materials because I’m working with themes around intimate/psychological spaces, personal belongings and their associations/histories/memories, interior life, boundaries, comfort, nostalgia, etc.

SPACE TO BREATHE, 2018. sound, mixed media installation. 108 x 168 x 84 in.

Bed, 1955. Robert Rauchenberg. MOMA

Q:你最喜歡哪一位藝術家的創作系列?

What’s your favorite body of work created by another artist?


A:勞勃.勞森伯格 (Robert Rauschenberg)的床(1955)以及其他的集景

Robert Rauschenberg’s Bed from 1955, among his other “combines”.

Q:你最欣賞的藝術家、作家或音樂家是誰?

Who inspire you?

A:我的好朋友Chihiro,@fl00fy,激勵我繼續創作我喜愛的藝術且相信自己。 My bff Chihiro, @fl00fy, inspired me to make the art I love and to believe in myself. I’m also always so inspired when I teach art to kids.

Q:你收集什麼物品嗎?

Do you collect anything?

A:我收集任何物品,尤其是布料、手勢、燈飾、盒子、紙類、傢具、包包、提箱、舊襪子、書籍、雜誌、毛巾、窗簾、浴室地毯、毯子、瑜珈墊或其他運動用品器材、蕾絲、緞帶、彩帶、空的打火機,等等。

I collect everything. esp. fabric, jewelry, lamps, boxes, paper, furniture, bags/purses/backpacks/suitcases, old socks, old books, magazines, towels, curtains, bath mats, blankets, yoga mats, other exercise equipment, lace, ribbon, confetti, empty lighters, etc.


Studio View (2021)

Q:你在工作室以外的活動或興趣是?

What is your current studio situation?


A:我在東洛杉機租了一個工作室,在那創作大型裝置藝術和停格影片(六月份在科羅拉多當代美術館的展覽),還有其他小型的雕塑和繪畫。 I rent a studio space in East LA, where I am working on a large installation and stop-motion video project (for BMoCA in June 2022) as well as several smaller sculptural pieces and paintings.


Q:你孩提時代最喜歡的活動是什麼,和你現在的創作有任何關聯嗎?

What was your favorite activity as a child and is it relevant to your work as an artist today?

STUFF(ed) Detail, 2019 sound*, acrylic and latex paint, fabric, wood, paper, found objects Solo exhibition at the San Jose, CA

A:我喜歡在自己搭建的小宇宙裡面和娃娃、布偶,甚至和石頭玩遊戲。感覺和我現在在我的裝置藝術裡面玩物件一樣,但是現在我會在上面塗色、構建真實的物體,但每樣東西都有種「不穩」的感覺。我好奇如果用我兒時的成長空間製作成停格影片的話,會是什麼樣子。

I liked to build out worlds and play with dolls or stuffed animals or even rocks sometimes in these alternative realities. Seems about the same as playing with my objects in my installations now, but now I get to paint everything and I can build real things, though everything still usually has an overall precariousness. I’d be interested to see what my stop-motion videos would have looked like in my childhood spaces.


Opposite Day, 2019.2019 sound*, digital video projection, mixed media installation (acrylic and latex paint, fabric, wood, paper, linoleum, astroturf, found objects) 125 x 180 x 240 in.

Q:你得到過最好的建議是?

What’s the best advice you have received? A:每天都創作一些。

Make something every day.

Q:可以推薦一紀錄片或一本書給我們嗎?

Can you recommend us a documentary or a book(s)?


A:亞倫.迪素薩的如何思考藝術,以及珍.班內特的鮮豔的事物:物件的政治生態 How Art Can Be Thought by Allan DeSouza & Vibrant Matter: A Political Ecology of Things by Jane Bennett.



Q:你有哪些短期和長期的目標?

What are some short- term & long-term goals for you?


A:我的短期目標是在洛杉磯認識更多人,並且找到長期住所。長期目標的話,我希望能夠繼續以創作維生;並且持續創作能夠激勵我,令我保持新鮮感與興奮的作品。 Short term, I need to meet people in LA and find a place to live. Long term, I would like to keep making a living as an artist and keep making work that excites me and pushes me forward.


特別感謝蘇菲.拉莫斯。

Special Thanks to Sofie Ramos.

蘇菲.拉莫斯(1990)現居舊金山與洛杉磯。拉莫斯畢業於加州大學柏克萊分校藝術碩士,作品曾於多所畫廊與美術館展出,包含 Ever Gold Gallery,JUXAPOZ及ArtDaily雜誌均有刊登拉莫斯相關報導。最近的報導標題為「未來陽光:艾倫.路特,克莉絲汀.特奇拉,蘿拉.伯格與蘇菲.拉莫斯」,刊登於2020年一月份 JUXTAPOZ 藝術專刊。


Sofie Ramos (1990, OH) currently lives and works in San Francisco and Los Angeles. Ramos holds an MFA from UC Berkeley. Numerous key galleries and museums such as Ever Gold Gallery have featured Sofie Ramos's work in the past. Sofie Ramos has been featured in articles for JUXTAPOZ and ArtDaily. The most recent article is Future Sun: Ellen Rutt, Kristin Texeira, Laura Berger and Sofie Ramos on Interconnectivity written for JUXTAPOZ in January 2020.






133 views0 comments

Comments


bottom of page